Warning: the following words and images will allow you to vicariously see the world with the eyes of Sultan. Read at your own risk. The name Sultan has many meanings, but derives from the peak Sultan Mountain in Silverton, CO!


Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mohammed Runs the Marathon des Sables

In exactly 8 days I’ll be starting the first day of the Marathon des Sables (MdS) and toeing the line with 800 or so competitors from all over the world. There are 76 runners in the American contingency. Marathon des Sables is French for Marathon of the Sands! The 7 day, 6 stage race across the sand dunes of the Sahara Desert starts South East of Ouarzazate, Morocco. I will be carrying all of my gear and food for the week on my back. Water and shelter (Berber tent) will be provided each night, but all else will be carried in my backpack. I’ll be covering the 150+ miles while carrying 20 pounds, mostly food, in temperatures that can exceed 120 degrees.

You can join me in my fastpack across the Sahara. Once the race begins on Sunday, March 29, I'll be able to send one email to one recipient each day. I've set up my blog (mohammednc.blogspot.com) so that I can post via email. Therefore, throughout the race (March 29-April 4) I intend to post daily about the race and my personal experience.

While I will be in the company of good friends at MdS, I could still use your encouragement and support during race! The great news is that from March 28 through April 3 only, you can write me by going to the race website: http://darbaroud.com and clicking on "écrire aux concurrents/write to competitors." Be sure to click on the English/American flag in the upper right-hand corner of the screen to see the website in English. You will need to include my full name (Mohammed Idlibi) and race number (828) for me to receive the message. Do not send any attachments, as such messages will not be delivered. This is understandable, as all emails are downloaded via satellite phone before being printed and delivered to me each night in my tent. I can assure you that receiving your messages at the bivouac will do much to boost my spirits, and I will need it.

If you want to follow my journey through the desert at the Marathon des Sables, check out the blog: mohammednc.blogspot.com.

READ THIS MESSAGE IN FRENCH!

En exactement 8 jours je commencerai le premier jour des Marathon des sables (MdS) et botterai la ligne avec 800 environ des concurrents avec la pointe du pied à partir de partout dans le monde. Il y a 76 coureurs dans l'éventualité américaine. Les sables de DES de marathon est français pour le marathon des sables ! Les 7 jours, la course de 6 étapes à travers les dunes de sable du désert de Sahara commence le sud-est d'Ouarzazate, Maroc. Je porterai toutes ma vitesse et nourriture pour la semaine pendant mon dos. L'eau et l'abri (tente de Berber) seront fournis chaque nuit, mais tout autrement dedans portés mon sac à dos. Je couvrirai les milles 150+ tout en portant 20 livres, la plupart du temps nourriture, dans les températures qui peuvent dépasser 120 degrés.

Vous pouvez me joindre dans mon fastpack à travers le Sahara. Une fois que la course commence le dimanche 29 mars, je pourrai envoyer à un email à un destinataire chaque jour. J'ai installé mon blog (mohammednc.blogspot.com) de sorte que je puisse signaler par l'intermédiaire de l'email. Par conséquent, dans toute la course (les 29 mars-4 avril) j'ai l'intention de signaler le journal au sujet de la course et de mon expérience personnelle.

Tandis que je serai à la compagnie de bons amis aux MdS, je pourrais encore employer votre encouragement et appui pendant la course ! Les grandes nouvelles sont celle à partir du 28 mars jusqu'au 3 avril seulement, vous peuvent m'écrire en allant au site Web de course : http://darbaroud.com et cliquer sur le " ; les concurrents aux. d'écrire/écrivent à competitors." ; Être sûr de cliquer dessus drapeau anglais/américain dans le coin droit supérieur de l'écran pour voir le site Web en anglais. Vous devrez inclure mon nom et prénoms (Mohamed Idlibi) et nombre de course (828) pour que je reçoive le message. N'envoyer aucun attachement, car de tels messages ne seront pas fournis. C'est compréhensible, car tous les email sont téléchargés par l'intermédiaire du téléphone satellite avant de m'être imprimée et livrée chaque nuit dans ma tente. Je peux vous assurer que que la réception de vos messages au bivouac fera beaucoup pour amplifier mes spiritueux, et moi aura besoin de lui.

Si vous voulez suivre mon voyage par le désert aux Marathon des Sable, vérifier le blog : mohammednc.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

annette bednosky said...

Wow! You are truley an adventurer! I am psyched to be aquainted with you Mo and will do all I can to follow you and send you greetings and encouragement. Your b'day run was one of my running highlights of 2009 so far and I haven't been starved for adventures thus far!

Most importantly, take care of you! Stay whole and in touch with your circle of life and family while you are out there. You are a priveleged man to have a loving family who support you in such an amazing endeavour. I say this because I too am appreciative of the support I get from those who love me. What you are about to do is not something done alone and I am psyched you are asking "us" to join you!
With much respect and the greatest of good wishes,
Annette

Haz said...

Wow, you have accomplished something great, itis a milestone!