Warning: the following words and images will allow you to vicariously see the world with the eyes of Sultan. Read at your own risk. The name Sultan has many meanings, but derives from the peak Sultan Mountain in Silverton, CO!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tahoe Rim 100m

Tahoe Rim Trail 100.4 miles - 32:57 PR

It starts casually.

My Thursday flight to Reno touches down in the arid lands of Nevada. I find myself in a desert again. I have just returned from Morocco, where I spent a few days in the Sahara Desert, hoping that helps with this run. Mom and Dad join in on this adventure and we make Carson City our home for the night. The next day I check in, drop one bag at Tunnel Creek, and walk around town as my lips and nostrils begin to dry up, and I feel like I am turning into a lizard again. We eat at the Bigwater Grille at Incline Village and try to get as much rest as possible before the 3:45am wake up call.

Dad got up early and dropped me off at Spooner Lake, the start of the Tahoe Rim 100. I had another drop bag which I would leave at the start/50mile/finish area. 5am and we take off. I feel sluggish, sleepy, and not very well rested from the very first mile. It doesn’t get any better until the second aid station, Tunnel Creek. I dropped five pounds. I eat a little and drink a lot. The arid heat will slow you down and knock you out if you don’t manage your hydration and salts properly. I slowed my roll and descend to the Red House, and inferno hotter than 40 hells. I met Gretchen here briefly, and I unsuccessfully tried to start conversation here. I slowed my roll even more.

The Tahoe Rim 100 is one and half figure eights, lets see if I can explain this. It looks like a three leaf clover, the middle leaf is the Red House loop, which is also the lowest elevation of the run, hence the heat. I return to Tunnel Creek, and am weighed again. The doctor’s advise me to keep drinking, which I was doing as much of as possible. I swap out a bottle for a three liter bladder pack, which I stashed in my drop bag, this saved my run. Over the next 12 miles I drink more than 4 liters of water, and manage both my hydration and electrolytes well. This is not easy to do, and is better practiced in advance. I pass the Bull Wheel aid station (mile 20.3) and keep truckin along to Diamond Peak. The last 4 miles before Diamond Peak are some gnarly downhill mountain biking trails. I picked up some speed here, and made it to the lodge by 11:21am.

Not hanging around for too long, I down some calories and take in fluids. I still had not taken a single leak, and this concerned me a little. Temperatures broke 90 degrees high up on Diamond Peak Lodge, and I continued to bake in the alpine sun as I ascended the ridiculous new addition to the race, Crystal Ridge, a sandy ski slop fully exposed with no switchbacks. This couldn’t be happening. No way they would add this new section to the already challenging course. This section added 2,000 feet of gain for each loop, giving the entire 100 mile distance an even 24,000 feet of climbing. I duck walked and side stepped this two mile section in 1:15 and looked back at the most stunning view of Lake Tahoe when I reached the top. The view eased my pain, and gave me strength to push forward as many cussed at the climb. My body had taken a beating by the sun, the exposure made it exponentially harder for me and my stomach began to twist inside, I was zapped. I tried to eat.

Once you reach the top of the ski slop your back at the Bull Wheel aid station (mile 32.3). I grabbed a few pretzels and bumed a few vitamin I’s from Joy who I met on the climb up who was running with Olga at the time. I practiced my Russian with Olga. After Bull Wheel, Joy and I ran together to Tunnel Creek. I had a grilled cheese sandwich here, which was heavily, and the stomach gave me the green light to continue eating. My ears perked up when I heard the word burrito, I have a soft spot for burritos. These guys were fully stocked, and even had cilantro to garnish with, whoa! 5 star service here. The volunteers rocked and made sure every runner had all they needed and some. Thanks guys!

I moved onward slowly, trying to allow my body to digest all the calories all while I was uploading as much fluid as I possibly could. I knew from here to the Hobart aid station would be 5 miles, and I made small talk to Joy. We kept each other motivated and ran the trails together for 20 or so miles, while soaking up amazing views of Marlette Lake. I dreamed to swimming in the lake, and lied to my mind that I would. It was pristine blue, and stunningly beautiful when you contrasted it with Lake Tahoe and the snow capped mountains in the background. Joy was a joker, and managed to make me crack a smile here and there. I observed positive energy, which is something I tent to gravitate towards in life.

Once at Hobart, I had one of their famous Ensure shakes. Basically they take vanilla Ensure and blend it with some fruits and ice to make a milkshake smoothie type of cold drink. I couldn’t resist, but my stomach wasn’t on the same page as my pallet. I downed a few of those and threw back some watermelon, and moved on. From Hobart to Snow Valley Peak is 2.8 miles
of mostly climbing. The last .8 miles can be very windy, and offers full range views of Lake Tahoe and Marlette again. You roast in the fully exposed sun, but enjoy some of the best views on the coarse and the wind is refreshing during the day. Joy takes off here as she anticipates her husband waiting for her at the half way, after which he will pace her for the second loop.

Fortune shines upon me as the rest of the first loop from here was downhill. I finished the first 50 miles in just over 13 hours, and still had not peed once. I was getting worried and wanted to make sure my plumbing system was working properly, so I drank even more. I was also very surprised to see so much sand on the course, 90% by my estimation. This run could be called the Tahoe de Sable! You really do feel like your running in an alpine desert. I strongly recommend trail gaiters on this one. I cleaned out any rocks, sand, and pebbles out of my shoes, refueled, and took off alone for my second loop.

I run alone in the sun, and run back to Hobart. There around mile 55 was the first time my plumbing system began to work. I was thrilled. What was odd was that every sip I took out of my bladder, almost instantly I would pee crystal clear out the exact amount I took in. My system worked like a machine, I would sip in and ounce or so, and pee out the exact same amount perfectly clear. This went on all night. As if the body had retained the maximum amount of water it would tolerate. I have experienced this
before, but not to this extreme, and certainly not like clockwork. Sip in, 5 seconds later, pee out, the exact same amount. I reached the state of hyper-hydration, beyond super-hydration...whoa! I pushed on thru the night, and ran back to Tunnel Creek, and took off to the Red House. I thought I could take advantage of the cooler weather and pick up my pace. My body had been spanked pretty good by the sun, and I couldn’t run at a comfortably faster pace without having my heart rate jump up. I wanted to allow my cardiovascular system to recover, so I kept moving slowly. I ran with various runners, who all seemed to have pacers, until I couldn’t keep up, and they would pass me.

Linda McFadden shows up at the Red House with her pacer, Catra Corbett. Linda and I ran together for miles at my very first 100 miler, the Coyote 2 Moons. Who would have thought we would reconnect once again at mile 65 at the Tahoe Rim 100 in the middle of the night? We exchanged few words, and they were in much better shape than the beat up, hyper hydrated, sleepy Sultan. I kept moving in the night, and struggled to stay awake. I reloop back at the Tunnel Creek aid station at 1:16am. I’m a zombie at this point, and can hardly keep my eyes open, so I down a café, and then another! I try to not spend too much time here, as I know the body is vulnerable, and I didn’t want to get too comfortable. I take off alone again towards Diamond peak, which is 13 miles away.

Its only a half marathon away right? It takes me 4:40 to cross this section, which I would consider my lowest low of the entire journey. I tried to keep up with any runner and pacers, just to chat and stay awake. One offered me caffeine gu’s which I took, but inevitably I wasn’t able to keep up, so I pushed on again alone in the darkness high above in the Sierra Mountains in the Nevadan lands of Lake Tahoe. It was a relief when I reached the left hand turn which indicated the downhill section. I tried to run, but only managed a fast shuffle at this point. My condition wasn’t ideal, but I wanted to finish this beast. My will overcame my pain, and I decided.

That’s what hundreds are all about. You have to want it bad enough. It will always be painful to run this far, and it may get to a point where you are beyond your threshold of pain tolerance, but if you want it bad enough, if you have the will, if you dig deep down when there is nothing left, you will finish. You must decide. Even trick your mind. The ability of the human body will surpass expectations.

I stumbled into the Diamond Peak aid station at 5:54am. The new day began its glow, but the sun was hiding under the mountain range of Lake Tahoe. I was greeted by a volunteer who surprisingly responded back to my Bonjor with fluent French. I often speak to random people in Spanish, Hebrew, Portuguese, Arabic, French, or classical Southern to keep things interesting. Where else can I practice? They usually get a kick out of it, and it keeps me going. Well, needless to say, I couldn't keep up with the perfect French, Je ne parle pa Francais tre bien! Ya know what I mean?

I downed a liter of fluids, had a volunteer podiatrist help me tape my feet, re-loaded on the calories with egg burritos, and I was off. Awesome aid station!! I knew I would not break 30 hours at this point, but wanted to finish bad enough that I would fight the next 20 miles in the blistering sun for a second day. I wanted to get this 2,000 foot climb over with before the sun peaked over the mountains. This time it took me 1:05, a little faster than the first time which I don’t attribute to stronger legs (they now have 50 more miles on them) but to the lack of sun beat down. The sun was fully out when I reached Bull Wheel. I kept a speed hiking pace and shuffled when I could. I was with David Wronski and his girlfriend pacer Dawn. This dude was running the entire distance in 5 fingers. I was jealous in more ways than one. He managed a strong pace, and I was often finding myself trailing. I wanted to keep up with these 20 year olds as much as I could to the finish, it was David’s first 100.

We both crank it out to Hobart together and really wished we had a camera up higher above where the views were again spectacular. The sun did not let up, and baked me again. I lathered up in the sunscreen on day 2 to keep the basil cell carcinoma away. Your dermatologist would bitch you out if they knew you ran the Tahoe Rim. The sun was ridiculously scorching hot. I kept telling myself on the climb up from Hobart to Snow Valley Peak that this was the last climb. The body wanted to shut down, but the mind was driving here. Who's in control yo?

Surprisingly Joy pops out of no where with her husband and brother all jolly, laughing and moving along at a fast pace. High fives and passes me, and let me know she has come back from the dead. She spent 3 hours at Diamond Peak, and was determined to get her buckle! She was in high spirits, and I knew I wasn't about to try and keep her pace. She rocked it out, and finished strong. Awesome work Joy!!

David and Dawn were off in the horizon, and now I get passed by John Machray and pacer. This dude looks soo familiar. I have little energy to make small talk and I knew I was getting closer to a finish, and I wanted to be put out of my misery. David reaches Snow Valley 6 minutes before me, and John reaches Snow Valley 4 minutes before me. I get into the aid station, have a raspberry sorbet, and grab a handful of pretzels and knew it was downhill from here. I didn’t stay long, and took off running. Finally my stride was being put to use. I took off and passed a few including David and John, and told them I would see them at the finish.
After what seemed an eternity, I reached the very last aid station, Spooner Summit. I was home free at this point. John catches me here and passes. I didn’t care, I wanted a finish, but I kept moving. With just over a mile to go, I kept my shuffle and eyed my watch. Could I break 33 hours? Sure, if I just kept this up for a mile.

Dad runs the last half mile with me, we leapfrog John letting him know we were on mission to break 33 and I cross the line at 32:57. I was beat, toasted, roasted, fried, baked, rocked, trashed, whipped out, zapped and totally spanked. Holy crap that was hard. I didn’t run a fast 100 but managed to cross the finish line of yet another journey into the 100 mile distance. What an amazing experience.

To date, this is my fastest 100. I enjoy big mountain 100's and have never finished a flatter, or dare I say, asphalt 100. Coyote 2 Moons was my first, Hardrock second, and TRT finishes off the trifecta!

John finishes 1 minute after 33 hours, David crosses the line at 33:19, Joy runs a 32:19, Olga DNF'ed, and Linda McFadden runs a 32:11. A huge thanks to all the volunteers that make this event possible, especially Tunnel Creek. You guys rock!

various photos by: Catra Corbett, bou, Dr. I, & Gerorge Ruiz.


Sara said...

Wow - great report! Congrats. congrats! 100 milers sound so difficult.

Great pics here and from the Sahara Desert trip

Joy Joy said...

Thanks for the race report and nice running with you for so many miles. I still can't believe I finished after feeling so awful, I guess that's what they mean when they talk about the "lows" of 100's. Funny how when you're in one, you can't identify it and you don't realize you can pull through. Check out my blog for another race report, if you're interested. I'm sure I'll see you around at another ultra one of these days!

gsluffey said...

Great job Sultan. I think Joy left DP at the same time I did and cruised up the slope. My worst section was also the 13 miles from Tunnel to DP. John passed me also. Congratulations.

gsluffey said...

Grat job Sultan. I had a rough time from Tunnel to DP also. I think Joy left at the same time as me at DP and cruised up the slope. John also passed me. Congrats on a great finish.

clay said...

Great job and great write up! Thanks for sharing it!

runjoey said...

nice report sultan. Way to keep focused and digging in when the going was tough. I can't wait to get out there next year

olga said...

Congratulations on making it done! The trails were amazingly stunning, so were the views. Worth the pain. We do great things, and we need to pat ourselves on a back:) Hugs!