Warning: the following words and images will allow you to vicariously see the world with the eyes of Sultan. Read at your own risk. The name Sultan has many meanings, but derives from the peak Sultan Mountain in Silverton, CO!


Sunday, October 21, 2007

Columbus Marathon - PR

Sunday 10/21/07 was the day I ran the Columbus Marathon. The weather was perfect, although slightly on the high side with a high of 77 for the day. 5-12 mph winds made it feel a little cooler.

The start time was 8am, 57 degrees, and I stood among the 3:30 pace crowd. It took about one minute after the horn blew for me to actually cross the start line, and we were off. Everything seemed perfect. I started the run with a slightly faster pace than 8 minute miles hoping that I could keep it up and slightly beat my 3:30 desired time. Previously my PR for this distance was set in my home town of Charlotte, NC at 3:37:33 on a much colder day. I like the cold when it comes to running vs. the hot.

I was not carrying a bottle as I usually do. I knew there would be plenty of water along the way and didn't want to hassle with a bottle. I made sure to drink at every aid station and keep my system hydrated. As a result I had to take a bathroom break (counted 22 seconds in the porta-John) at around the six mile mark.

I felt strong at the half marathon point, and was right on target for a 3:30 pace, but the pace team was still a few hundred yards behind me. Eventually they caught up to me at mile 17, and by mile 19 I decided to let them go ahead. I felt that my 3:30 time was slipping away from me. I could see the white balloons of the pacer keep getting farther and farther away. Keep the balloons in sight is what I kept telling myself. Between the half point and mile 20 my pace slipped to 8:18 which would make it impossible for me to reach my goal if I continued at that pace or slowed down.

At mile 21, while on the largest campus in the United States, a second wind hit me. I felt a burst of energy in me as I began to pass a large number of runners. At this point I began to tell myself that it was only 5 more miles to the finish line. My pace improved to a 7:58 for the last 6.2 miles. I finished in 3:30:41 which I am pleased with, and is a new personal record for the marathon distance.

Columbus, OH is an all American city which definitely had a "hometown feel" to it. I am certain to come back and visit.


Average finish time 4:11:08 for all 3,636 runners.

Splits and Pace

5 mile: 39:04 - 7:49
13.1 mile: 1:43:58 - 8:01
20 mile: 2:41:17 - 8:18
26.2 mile: 3:30:41 - 7:58!
Overall: 3:30:41 - 8:02
Consumed 3 cliff gu's and drank approximatley 100 oz. of water/Gatoraid

No comments: